Thursday, February 5, 2009

Well... good news and bad news

It has been a long day of mostly nothing. We are still here at Children's Hospital and Owen and I will stay the night again. Today we talked with the Pediatric medical team and the Neurology team. Owen had an EEG, to look at his brain functions and an EKG, to look at his heart. We talked at LENGTH (literally 20 or so times) about the events of yesterday and everyone took a look at Owen individually. We talked a lot about Owen's breath holding and how exactly it looks when it happens, it doesn't harm him and it is really not a big deal at all. For those of you not familiar with what it is like when a kid holds his breath here is what happens. Owen is a very typical breath holder: http://www.webmd.com/parenting/tc/breath-holding-spells-topic-overview

Anyway, Owen was in a GREAT mood today. He was really happy and cooperative up until it was time to do the EEG. They tech could have moved a lot faster but it was absolutely gruelling to hold Owen still while they attached 27 electrodes to his head. It really was the worst, he was so hysterical and wanted me to hold him so bad. We were going to try and induce a breath holding incident while he was having the EEG to see if he was having seizure tendencies during it but of course he wouldn't get that far. Little stinker!

On to the bad news... Owen's EEG showed abnormal brain activity in the rear left area. He was having "spikes" in his activity in an area that could signal epilepsy. Now, the good news is the head Neurologist came in and talked with us a long time about the fact that they do NOT consider Owen to have epilepsy. Children with epilepsy are usually developmentally delayed, don't meet milestones, etc. That is SO not Owen! He is considered developmentally advanced by the doctors here so that is really reassuring. We will be having an MRI done at Noon. Since the EEG was abnormal the next course of action is an MRI to determine if his brain has developed properly, there are no masses and so on. I am not *too* worried because in my heart I know that he is perfect, happy, and smart but I will say I am scared, really scared of what they might find. My mind wonders to the "what ifs" a lot.

If he does have epilepsy, I can definitely handle that. I just hope it is not something more...

We will update when we know something. We could definitely use all your prayers and positive thoughts.

No comments: