We lived through one of most terrifying days of our lives... Owen stopped breathing. I was up a lot last night thinking about that day and am so thankful that the right people where there when we needed them. It is funny how things happen for a reason but you don't know it at the time. The night before Owen stopped breathing we went out to eat with my family because Jere and Steph were visiting from Hawaii. It was late and Beth asked us if we were going to spend the night at Mom and Dads with the rest of them. I didn't want to since we wouldn't even get there until 11pm and our kids needed to get to bed. Owen was sick with a cold and I just didn't want to go to spend the night. After a while, we decided to go and spend the night. Little did I know that the very next morning only 20 or so minutes after getting up, Beth would save Owen's life. I have no doubt that we spent the night at my parents house that night so Beth could be there with us that morning. There is a reason that Beth knows infant CPR. There is a reason that she was up so early with us that morning. The image of Beth breathing for our son will be ingrained in my mind for the rest of my life. Watching helplessly as she tried to revive my dying son is something that makes me cry even now... We will never forget what you did for us Beth... you are truly our
hero!
I still wake up several times every night to check his breathing and probably will for a very long time. I never want to relive that again. If anything good has come out of this experience, it is that we will tell every parent we know that it is SO important to keep your newborns away from people who are sick. Newborns just can't cope with illness and the result is that our son almost died from a common cold. Anyway, Owen is a big, beautiful, HEALTHY baby now! He weighs close to 16lbs and is just as happy as can be!

Owen in the Emergency Room at Childrens Hospital, April 23, 2008

Owen at almost 3 months old, June 23, 2008
2 comments:
i can't believe that was two months ago. owen is sooo unbelievably cute! love you and miss you guys!
Annie! I am SO happy to hear from you-and I cannot believe that Owen is already 3 months old!! I have felt jipped not being able to keep up with your adorable family ever since I dropped myspace. I have wondered what you have been up to, how the end of your pregnancy and labor went, and how darling Emma Claire was doing! This is the first time I have seen Owen-he is a darling little chunk! I love chunky babies! Emma Claire is just looking like a little girl!! What has happened to our baby girls?! Crazy how fast it goes. She is just darling darling darling! I cried when I read this post about Beth saving Owen. How scary-but what a wonderful Auntie. What a blessing. He's obviously on this earth for a special reason. What a sweety. I'm so happy I can keep in touch with you guys now. Glad to hear you've settled in Colorado, and that Craig is enjoying his new job. Tell everyone hi! Thanks for getting in touch with me! Sorry this is so long, I probably should have just e-mailed you! haha Too late! Hope you have a wonderful 4th!
Post a Comment