So... October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Breast Cancer research is a VERY worthy cause in my opinion and we have tried to do our small part in helping fund the research. For the last 5 years (except last year when we lived in CA) we have participated in the Race For the Cure for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
This year, right before the race, I read an article about the Susan G Komen Foundation and their connection to Planned Parenthood. Apparently, SGK Foundation gives money to Planned Parenthood every year, presumably for breast exams/mammograms but that doesn't stop Planned Parenthood from using the money for other things. My problem with this connection is that Planned Parenthood provides abortions. I am vehemently opposed to abortion. So, I don't think that I can give money to an organization that supports it. I know that this is a moral issue that I have and not everyone shares my belief, but I feel like I can no longer give monetarily to the Susan G Komen Foundation. I know Planned Parenthood does good for low income/uninsured women, but the fact that they provide abortions trumps it all in my opinion.
We still went and participated in the race this year but didn't pay the registration fee. I feel that it is important to show my support for breast cancer research but I won't be giving money to them anymore. This makes me very sad... I looked into the issue further and found that so many of the companies I support with my purchases also gives to Planned Parenthood. Everything from Johnsons and Johnsons (most baby products and SO much more) to Bristol-Myers Squibb who make medications we take (and they make baby formula) give to Planned Parenthood. Blah...
Anyway, I have been looking for an alternative way to support breast cancer research and found the Army of Women campaign. After seeing a report about it on the Today show, I just signed up to be a "volunteer". Basically what the foundation is doing is looking for 1 MILLION volunteers to participate in studies about breast cancer. They need women of all ages, races, backgrounds to find the link and cause of breast cancer. One thing I am particularly interested in is the research that shows women who have breastfed, have a lower risk of breast cancer then those who don't. So, there may be a study that Army of Women does about breastfeeding women that I can participate in.
I think everyone should sign up! Go to www.armyofwomen.org and help find a cure for breast cancer!
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Annie you are so cool! I love how you are so educated and research things and find stuff out. I never new about all those links to planned parenthood. I feel the same way as you about the organization. Thanks for the alternative way to support. You are the coolest!!
Post a Comment